Snail on step by Lisa Solonynko at Morguefile.com

Migration to Plone 3: Next Steps

Once I was satisfied that, for the most part, I’d got my Plone 3.0.6 version in order, I was ready to take the next step. The remaining issue I had appeared to be related to Kupu, the WYSIWYG editor in Plone. That wasn’t all I found as I started the final process to migrate to 3.1.7.

I exported my Plone site from 3.0.6 as a .zexp file, and then copied it from the /var folder up to my desktop for safe keeping.  I also copied over the Data.fs file in hopes that I could use it.  But my hope were small!

I removed Plone 3.0.6 and installed Plone 3.1.7 with the Unified Installer.  The first thing that caught my attention was that it installed it in the same place as Plone 3.0.6 (/opt) but the last 3.1.7 installer I had placed the Plone in /usr/local.  Very strange.

The installation went as expected with only one error on the optional libxml2-python package.  I haven’t tracked that down yet but it does not appear to be significant.

All or Something

I dropped the Data.fs file into place first to see if I could access the site that way.  As I experienced the first time I installed 3.1.7, I could start the Plone instance without an error but could never actually reach the site if I was using my older Data.fs file.  I stopped the instance, replaced Data.fs with the one created during install, and restarted.  Worked perfectly.

I dropped my [plone-site].zexp file into my import folder and started the import process.  Unlike the last time, 3.1.7 took the zexp import without a hiccup (or hiccough).  The migration still failed, immediately this time since I had migrated successfully to 3.0.6 previously and that was when the error popped up.

Slow Progress

That’s where I am right now.  Well, not quite.  I noticed a couple of things when I compared my imported Plone site against the one auto-generated by the installation:

  • The kupu_library_tool was not installed, even though the Kupu product was available from the Control Panel.  In previous versions, Kupu is listed in Quickinstaller but it’s now so embedded in Plone, apparently, it isn’t there any longer.  I copied the kupu_library_tool over from the default Plone site and pasted it into my imported one.
  • The Archetypes Tool did not have the ATTopics type installed.  I’m not sure if this is important, but since the Topics (Collections) type is based on it, I think it might be.  I installed it to see if it made a difference.  The upshot of these two changes is that I can now create a Collections object, which I was not able to do before.
  • I had loads more types than the default Plone, including all of the old CMF types that I’d converted my content from in Plone 2.  I deleted them to try to align the default types with the ones in my new site but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference.

I continued to get the list.index(x):  not in the list error when I attempt the migration and sometimes when I attempt to do other activities in the site.  It seems to be a common problem for people migrating to 3.1.7, based on unanswered bulletin board messages.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *