The Presswork theme is a nice, light, free theme for WordPress. I have been using Arras but it’s a complicated setup and I was hunting about for something a bit more straight forward. You can see previous posts about Arras and other themes here, here, and here. There are some nuances about Presswork that I needed to tweak to get it working the way I wanted.
First, you can see that I have played around with the default CSS file. Unlike Arras, it does not have a separate User.CSS file so I am just appending my changes to the end of the default style sheet. That works well enough, and I have made only minor modifications to the CSS otherwise. Presswork has a nice overlay that makes some of the more significant changes easier. It also has a drag and drop layout editor, so that you can add or remove columns and headers in a manner similar, in my experience, to the Plone @@manage-viewlets view.
I use a plugin called TagPages, that enables me to use tags (but still not categories, which are unsupported on pages in WordPress) to organize my pages (non-post content). The archive and search results with Presswork listed the topics or categories line, though, even though it was empty. I finally figured out how to fix it so that it tests for whether categories exist or not. In the actions.php file, scroll down to the function pw_posts() and in the meta section (marked by an <h2>), you can modify the section around the_category(); to look like this:
if(has_category()) echo ‘<p class=”tags”>Topics: ’;
if(has_category()) echo ‘</p>’;
The new part is in bold and tests for whether there are categories or not. The third line is part of a different line, but if you don’t make it conditional, you end up with an orphaned </p> tag. Now, when I access a tag archive or do a search, pages that have only tags display just my Filed Under line, but posts display both Topics and Filed Under.
Presswork is easy to use because it only has a handful of files. I think the Arras code is a bit cleaner to navigate and the Presswork CSS is bewildering in some instances, but overall I’m pleased with the change.