One of the biggest strides in my SharePoint productivity was being able to save from my desktop to my SharePoint OneDrive through a drive letter, rather than upload. It has been working flawlessly for weeks and so I was frustrated when suddenly all of my shared drives disappeared.
At first I thought it was my network login, as other shared drives were missing. But after a hard restart (power off, wait, then power on), those drives returned. My SharePoint ones were missing.
It ended up being two related items. One, for the SharePoint Sites to appear (c:\users\your_username\SharePoint Sites), you need to have a service called Webclient running. You may or may not be able to do anything about that, so get the Help Desk to fix it if it’s not turned on as it requires administrator rights. Mine was off so I changed its state to Automatic and started it.
The second involved Webclient too, but involved how the network was looking for resources. The error I got (Windows errors are numbers and largely useless but this one paid off – 80070043 ) indicated, after a Google search, that I had a problem with a Registry key.
Messing around in the Windows registry is also not for the faint of heart – or those without administrator rights. But when I replaced this:
my shared drives started working again. It looks like the the login script has been tweaked so that the protocol between Symantec’s Antivirus (SnacNP) and IBM iSeries AS/400 (Cwbnetnt) is deleted. WDNP32 enables Web drives and so, without it, the function is disabled.